Due to urgent IT updates the practice will be closed on Tuesday the 28th of November between 12:30 and 1:30
IPC Annual Statement Report
Magnolia House - April 2023
This annual statement will be generated each year in April in accordance with the requirements of the Health and Social Care Act 2008 Code of Practice on the prevention and control of infections and related guidance. The report will be published on the practice website and will include the following summary:
- Any infection transmission incidents and any action taken (these will have been reported in accordance with our significant event procedure)
- Details of any infection control audits undertaken, and actions undertaken
- Details of any risk assessments undertaken for the prevention and control of infection
- Details of staff training
- Any review and update of policies, procedures, and guidelines
Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) lead
The lead for infection prevention and control at Magnolia House is Hana Whittick (GPN).
The IPC lead is supported by Kate Dyerson (GP) and Nadine Kencroft (Office Manager).
a. Infection transmission incidents (significant events)
In the past year there have been two needle stick events. There have been zero complaints made regarding cleanliness or infection control.
b. Infection prevention audit and actions
An external IPC inspection has been arranged for 1st June 2023 with Vanessa Seeboruth, Frimley ICB IPC lead.
Infection prevention and control audits were completed in April 2023 as detailed below:
- Vaccine storage audit tool was completed in April 2023, recommendations have been implemented. The audit was repeated in May 2023.
- Curtain Audit was completed in March 2023 and resulted in additional curtains being ordered and hung.
- Hand washing audit was completed for all clinical staff March 2023, compliance was good.
- A minor surgery audit was completed in April 2023 indicating that 74 operations were performed with nil post-surgery infections. Additionally, 52 coils were inserted and a further 40 were removed, nil post fit or removal infections reported. Finally, 9 contraceptive implants were fitted and an additional 13 were removed, nil post implant insertion or removal infections were reported.
- Legionella Assessment and audit has been booked for May 2023.
- Sharps disposal and waste audit was completed in May 2023
c. Risk assessments
Risk assessments are carried out so that any risk is minimised to be as low as reasonably practicable.
In the last year, the following risk assessments were carried out:
- Minor Surgery
- Risk of body fluids
- Healthcare associated infections
- Soft furnishings
- Disposal of waste including sharps
- Cleaning standards
- Staffing training and vaccinations
- Toy cleaning provision
- Assistance dogs
- Privacy curtain changes
- Oxygen cylinders
- Water safety
At Magnolia House all staff and contractors receive IPC induction training on commencing their post. Thereafter, all staff receive refresher training annually. The IPC lead attends quarterly attendance to IPC champions training sessions and ensures updates are cascaded to clinicians and staff at regular meetings, as documented through minutes.
e. Policies and procedures
The infection prevention and control related policy, and the cleaning standards schedule policy, have been updated in the last year. Policies relating to infection prevention and control are available to all staff and are reviewed and updated annually. Additionally, all policies are amended on an ongoing basis as per current advice, guidance, and legislation changes.
It is the responsibility of all staff members at Magnolia House to be familiar with this statement and their roles and responsibilities under it.
The IPC lead and Nadine Kencroft (Office Manager) are responsible for reviewing and producing the annual statement. This annual statement will be updated on or before April 2024.
For and on behalf of Magnolia House